I bit off more than I can chew

251 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So this is a repost more or less from Stanceworks, but I figured why not post it here too. Not a lot of technical support on stance works really.

So I've never done a build like this before, so basically everything is a learning experience. It's more fun that way I guess

The goals were simple, build a fun clean car that would be safe, reliable and reasonably priced and probably track it.

well found this guy on craigslist for dirt cheap, kid thought it need a clutch or transmission. When I got home I found an empty clutch master and a leaking slave cylinder. $20 later...

IMG_1340_zps086a9815.jpg

IMG_1342_zpsb77aba9c.jpg

Had some awesome stereo install in it (not)

IMG_1343_zps5081446f.jpg

IMG_1344_zps894c050d.jpg

but it did have a fancy momo wheel and hub, a clean body and the engine ran.

IMG_1346_zps47c528a6.jpg

I drove it on the weekends for a short while and decided rotary wasn't my thing. This was kinda my first mistake. I decided i wanted to build a ridiculously awesome car that expanded my skills and knowledge, and because I had recently done an engine swap in my daily I decided it needed to be unique and have some different kind of engine.

In hindsight I should have just enjoyed the low power and done suspension etc first maybe do auto X and drift in the rain.

but no

I was talked into the ford small block. buddy has a sick fox mustang that he bought around the same time, and when he started getting me to help work on it and buy parts I was blown away by how simple it all was and cheap! After a little bit of google I found Granny's speed shop and this:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2009/04/speehunters_gt_gt_car_feature_gt_gt_v8_mazda_rx7_triangle_blasphemy/

rest is history.

Yanked the engine/trans/wiring and sold it for pretty close to what i paid for the car,

IMG_1531_zpsae1d5f5b.jpg

as well as most of the interior, which was in horrible condition.

IMG_1543_zps551b7d3d.jpg

IMG_0010_zpse209bc84.jpg

Threw away/recycled most of the stuff I wouldn't be using, but saved the good stuff.

IMG_0004_zpsbc3a2529.jpg

Then proceeded to remove absolutely everything from the body

IMG_1541_zps5658e5c5.jpg

IMG_1542_zps57539cdc.jpg

IMG_0008_zpsa4ff1a17.jpg

IMG_0009_zpse7e9ca88.jpg

That box is a Granny's swap kit I snagged for half of retail on ebay. I was a bit in the dark on what exactly I was buying, but when it arrived it was a 302 kit with the T5 crossmember and even had the aluminum driveshaft upgrade!

IMG_0003_zps47785c3e.jpg

my dad was less than impressed with all the crap accumulated in the garage however

IMG_0011_zpsda69d052.jpg

Long term projects like this can get annoying that way, I have to re-organize and clean everything at least once a month.

At this time I was still working as an installer, so on my breaks and during other free time I took my centre bezel and gauge bezel and flushed them.

IMG_0281_zps84585c6b.jpg

IMG_0406_zps731d2b8f.jpg

IMG_0416_zpsb0750af1.jpg

IMG_0445_zpsd41efc56.jpg

IMG_0446_zps3d6c2249.jpg

While that doesn't sound like a big deal, those after paint had crazy hours into them. Not sure if I would do them again the same way..

IMG_0282_zpsdae60c8f.jpg

The mirrors weren't looking good either, so I took them apart cleaned them out of now useless wiring and rust and fixed the cracks. Painted them but can't find a finished pic

IMG_0450_zps6cceaea2.jpg

Bought these JIC's from Ed for cheap, they'll work until I can make better ones (yes I said make, as in fab out of universal Bilsteins)

So after like an entire winter or so just stripping the car down, removing undercoating, removing sound deadener (the wrong way too, use dry ice) and doing tonnes of research, we got to here:

f0835840_zps43cb40b0.jpg

Oh and I started using a decent camera too

f0870016_zpsa3af958a.jpg

f0885760_zps95e17109.jpg

f0917312_zpsce9a8028.jpg

picked up a mono seat somewhere along the way. Hard to find a seat that fits my tall skinny self...

f1008512_zps71e8dee9.jpg

Among random part buying I got a useless parts block, so I threw the kit in there and the intake to see how close it was all gonna fit

f0928896_zpsc685b9a5.jpg

f0971328_zps4337f79b.jpg

f0862720_zpsd51d6cc3.jpg

Hood clearance is a concern, I don't want to have to cut a hole in my hood. Even with the Sn95 style intake (which is the shortest) it's gonna be close.

f1107328_zps860a9475.jpg

Yes I used a lawn mower to pull it out of the garage lol

Now somewhere around here is when I "lost" my 240sx, this is when the drift bug bit me hard. But the next time that happens the car was gonna need to be safer.

Have a buddy who works at Metaltropolis in Maple Ridge industrial park (great guys hit them up for any metal needs and welding supplies) so I got some 1.5" .120 wall DOM and had it bent to fit.

f1056512_zps1d41fbc6.jpg

Finished my gauge panel somewhere in here (my timeline is probably way off by now)

f1159936_zps6d3cb388.jpg

One of the biggest things I want for this car is simple. Easy to work on, old school raw feel. So bye bye power steering, I'm probably gonna regret it drifting but we'll see.

IMG_5231_zps15f60be4.jpg

IMG_5236_zpsbda6910a.jpg

IMG_5244_zpsa2a57489.jpg

These things don't weld very good when they have been soaking in fluid they're entire life. Shout out to my buddy Andy for all the help welding different stuff. He's been able to do all the critical stuff thus far. I suck at welding too much to do anything important.

IMG_5396_zps328071ac.jpg

back together, but holding off finishing until my Abercrombie kit comes.

Made a bunch of test pieces out of the left overs from the bender, and gave some to Andy to get familiar with.

IMG_5248_zps19e9937e.jpg

IMG_5240_zps148b0b14.jpg

IMG_5249_zpsdfdd92b4.jpg

Can you believe that was with a stick welder? I was impressed.

Learned how to make a decent cope with an angle grinder

IMG_5254_zps3cdff221.jpg

Bring in the Rig time to get something done

IMG_5392_zps63d63d72.jpg

IMG_5464_zpsc1881436.jpg

*cue montage music*

IMG_5463_zps7c0c6a48.jpg

IMG_5400_zps6e5344d3.jpg

IMG_5447_zps3bdf267e.jpg

IMG_56501_zps60b27a43.jpg

IMG_56511_zpsfd40ff35.jpg

IMG_56521_zpsf6dfc929.jpg

IMG_56541_zps1ceb6dc5.jpg

Sometimes to get complete coverage you have to do things that Work Safe BC frowns upon. But who cares

IMG_56601_zps9a49df2a.jpg

Tangent: isn't welding pretty?

IMG_5374_zpsb615c07a.jpg

IMG_5376_zps381b280b.jpg

^ that one is my laptop background atm

IMG_5710_zps9cdc77af.jpg

IMG_5711_zpse333993e.jpg

some gusseting. Decided not to go nuts on the dimple plate gusset everything blah blah. Car is seriously stiff as is, and its just more weight.

I got all excited and put the dash in while waiting to find time to finish welding the cage, then took pics

IMG_5717_zpsbc81ce62.jpg

IMG_5719_zpscebda636.jpg

While it looks like I mis-cut having extra on the inside makes getting the dash in and out easier. And that is the goal.

IMG_56721_zpsd0d5004b.jpg

IMG_56731_zps64d19c94.jpg

IMG_56751_zps5cd69d8b.jpg

IMG_56781_zpsceda3162.jpg

IMG_56791_zps2e60e555.jpg

oh ya seat belt mounts too, for those SFI rated RCI harness's

IMG_5714_zps757430af.jpg

Don't have pics of the seat mounting, but its basically sitting on 1" square tubing welded to the floor. Nuts sunk and welded into the square tube and thats what the slider bolts to.

grade 8 e'rythang

IMG_5729_zps98309533.jpg

IMG_5715_zps1d89f2f3.jpg

Scored these guys from edmonds batteries in langley, they still have some if anyone is interested. They're actually Odyessy PC545. I grabbed 2 cuz they were cheap, and this way I don't have to worry about using juice after shutting down the engine.

Going with dual masters and wilwood bias adjusting stuff.

Pro tip: Mopac sells deals a company called "Racing Performance Company" I think they operate some factories that make car parts. One of which is wilwood. This pedal set is half the cost of the Wilwood one but I think it was a cosmetic reject from their assemble line. Saving money where safe is good.

IMG_5367_zps8fbba882.jpg

Still going proper wilwood with the masters tho

IMG_5690_zps08471892.jpg

After a bit experimenting I found a mounting solution that was strong and still allowed me to remove the pedals with the dash and steering column in place

IMG_5725_zpsfc0a4c72.jpg

Sold a flipper vehicle and bought a motor and trans combo from a 94 Mustang GT (hat tip Gary's auto wrecking). I basically explained what i was looking to do and got the entire engine swap and then some for a deal.

IMG_5259_zps5aee3ebe.jpg

Highlights are:

IMG_5260_zps67604d9c.jpg

BBK 70mm throttle body

IMG_5261_zps80a741e6.jpg

Steeda Tri-ax short shifter

IMG_5262_zps9e62bfc2.jpg

BBK equal length headers (would've preferred unequal but who cares)

And a BBK cold air that I can't find a pic. As well as the rad, driveshaft, all wiring, ECU, etc etc.

Made the engine simpler

IMG_5370_zps9e27731f.jpg

Swapped the injectors to 98 explorer ones (better spray pattern)

IMG_5752_zps252b292c.jpg

Rad fan fits pretty good on the stock FC rad

IMG_5742_zps6a2155e9.jpg

And before I get off topic, is the stock rad have plastic end tanks? Mine is a performance radiator, not oem. I don't know if this is a oem replacement rad, but its all copper and has no plastic. some one wiser help here?

Got a bunch of suspension parts as well

Energy master

IMG_5731_zps91ff1f51.jpg

DTSS eliminatori ala racing beat

IMG_5734_zpsb9f74ecc.jpg

Parts Shop Max rear everything except toe arms

IMG_5735_zpsd7a31cad.jpg

and a gift, a hurst cue ball. I love these things

IMG_5753_zps8458e89b.jpg

anyway on the excruciatingly long process of stitch welding and doing small things like filling holes in the firewall

IMG_5745_zpsc3ddc6da.jpg

really happy with this, keeps the oem look there, but still covered without using some thing that can melt like rubber grommets.

oh ya got a tach too

IMG_5698_zpsa9b68fab.jpg

el cheapo

For the lolz and because I'm bored heres my tool box. been throwing stickers on it for like 2 1/2 years now

IMG_5700_zpscf39cd36.jpg

IMG_5699_zps2a27ca0d.jpg

IMG_5701_zpsc11305ea.jpg

all for now. Provided y'all are gentle I'll update here as it happens

Edited by Tyson Floris
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Thumbs up. I remember this car being on craigslist awhile ago for nice and cheap. Hood fitment is always the black eye on these builds, you seem to be doing a good job though. Carry on

Posted · Report post

Damn didn't realize your build was so thorough dude. Definitely waiting for updates.

Posted · Report post

Updates wont be for about 8 months here.... lolz jokes.

I was hoping I would get to see how that DOM tubing turned out in the car, I work at Metaltropolis, haha. Looks good, your friend does some decent welding too.

Oh and what are you running for a differential? Have you thought about bracing your rear subframe at all?

Edited by Ben Osborne

Posted · Report post

She's a GXL so likely the stock LSD. They're pretty good units.

Posted · Report post

is it gonna be able to handle the torque? just wondering

thanx guys!

finished stitching the bottom of the car, now for the pretty stuff in the bay/interior. But will have to wait till after the holidays probably

Updates wont be for about 8 months here.... lolz jokes.

ya cuz ill be busy babysitting you work on your car lol

how can you tell Simon? It doesn't have the badging anywhere, but it has all the options, including a LSD. I once found an option chart, was way complicated

is it gonna be able to handle the torque? just wondering

and provided I keep the wheel hop under control, It should handle it well enough. Maybe do a ford 8.8 IRS or a Winters somewhere down the line.. aha dreaming

I was hoping I would get to see how that DOM tubing turned out in the car, I work at Metaltropolis, haha. Looks good, your friend does some decent welding too.

Oh and what are you running for a differential? Have you thought about bracing your rear subframe at all?

do you? trippy, I had no idea lol..

btw are you Josh Osbourne's Cousin? If so we totally went to the same birthday parties in like gr.4 lol

feel free to come take a look in person, and man can he ever weld. You've probably met Andy then if you've worked there that long

Subframe will be welded in the trouble areas, and the solid bushings should stop movement. There's another mod I can do if its a problem, but its not legal in FD or autoX (that I know of)

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=3659.45

Edited by Tyson Floris
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The electronic suspension adjustments gave it away. GXL only. As far as I know the stock diffs can handle 500+whp. Some guys have done 9s on stock drivelines. How much power are you planning to run?

yeah, I cut that last piece of DOM you needed for your cage and filled your welding gas up, haha. I've only been there for about 5 months.

Yes, Josh is my cousin.

I like the direction you are going with this FC, it would be cool to see it in person. Just don't go paint your interior/cage some weird ass color that doesn't match anything, I hate it when people do that.

Edited by Ben Osborne

Posted · Report post

this fucking rules

5.0's are rad as shit.

Posted · Report post

haha thanx ^

for now I'm expecting the stock (and bolt ons) like 240 hp should be adequate. We all know how that goes though lol.

The electronic suspension adjustments gave it away. GXL only. As far as I know the stock diffs can handle 500+whp. Some guys have done 9s on stock drivelines. How much power are you planning to run?

and its gonna stay classy, white engine bay, white roll cage black interior.

yeah, I cut that last piece of DOM you needed for your cage and filled your welding gas up, haha. I've only been there for about 5 months.

Yes, Josh is my cousin.

I like the direction you are going with this FC, it would be cool to see it in person. Just don't go paint your interior/cage some weird ass color that doesn't match anything, I hate it when people do that.

Posted · Report post

some work gone down since the holidays,

cut a bunch of holes

IMG_5771_zps64b032b4.jpg

IMG_5775_zps2c59a8c4.jpgIMG_5770_zpsa64bc05e.jpg

IMG_5772_zps906bec65.jpg

so i could patch the rusted areas

IMG_5774_zpsbcecc42f.jpg

IMG_5773_zps833d4ca6.jpg

IMG_5776_zps85624fa0.jpg

IMG_5780_zps8e573186.jpg

IMG_5778_zps2a637701.jpg

man I hate this stuff, its impossible to make it look right. I just concentrated on making it strong and so it won't happen again. Grinding it down has since ensued.

Got all the stitch welding done, cut some slack tho, I was basically still learning to weld when I started (went bottom to top, rear to front so the top would be prettier) and the machine I was using was less than ideal. but hey loaner was free

IMG_5786_zps6db9e3b6.jpg

IMG_5783_zpsbdf0e243.jpg

IMG_5782_zpsfe73be61.jpg

IMG_5787_zpsd6aea0eb.jpg

bad news here tho, I was hoping to not remove the windshield. I could drive it sooner, the car would hold perfect shape when the cage was being put it, and no expense of having to get a new one placed in. However, after all this grinding and welding on the inside the splatter has embedded itself in the safety glass layer. I can chip the bits out but they leave a mark behind. So out came the window, as its basically now junk.

IMG_5777_zps6dc93043.jpg

razor, some wire, guy on each end and some patience to get that out...

But kinda bummed, Because I should've just saved the hassle and taken it out months ago. Any ideas on how much a new windshield will cost and install? or repairing the old one?

flip side there is some rust up top there I can now deal with….

also got this for the dash

IMG_5788_zpsd0523e5e.jpg

Christmas wasn't bad to me either

IMG_5789_zps193a6f8e.jpg

IMG_5781_zps2c4f9941.jpg

few things to make working on in easier. and lucky for Sean the low pro even fits under his car without boards! time saver

As I type this tho, all the welding is done save for a hole or two that I can take care of really quick. I would've taken pics tonight, but a trip to Mcd's was in order. Gotta pay back my welder buddy somehow lol. it'll give me something to do tomorrow afternoon

The subframe's are out and disassembled. have some bushings to put in, and we reinforced the front diff mount on the rear subframe. then clean it all up, paint it black or something and start putting everything back together. I want to put the engine in and drill some holes etc (small things) before I try to paint it. Not looking forward to paint really… sounds like work lol.

anyway I'll try and grab more pics tomorrow for your viewing pleasure

Posted · Report post

I did the same shit to my windshield a long time ago when we were welding stuff in the bay lol. Mine was mostly at the very bottom of it so ive just kinda been living with it. Keep up the good work tho! Painting does suck imo but it'll be worth it :)

Posted · Report post

Going rate for non-OEM windshield replacements are $250 installed I believe. Haven't seen anything cheaper than that.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Yah my car woo

Posted · Report post

I did the same shit to my windshield a long time ago when we were welding stuff in the bay lol. Mine was mostly at the very bottom of it so ive just kinda been living with it. Keep up the good work tho! Painting does suck imo but it'll be worth it :)

thanks man. I hope my bay will turn out even half as pretty as yours!

Going rate for non-OEM windshield replacements are $250 installed I believe. Haven't seen anything cheaper than that.

thats not horrible actually.. I'm down to get rid of the tint and little heater lines embedded on my current one.

fixed

IMG_5800_zps0a535da3.jpg

fixed

IMG_5798_zps9c044a44.jpg

and fixed

IMG_5794_zpsb45c49e4.jpg

^ this was a hard yet important one. Basically the whole seam connecting the firewall was gone. Rust and a bad seam seal did not make it easy, but thankfully Andy managed.

then while he did these

IMG_5791_zps14c5640b.jpg

IMG_5790_zpsc55ae69d.jpg

and the diff mount on the subframe

IMG_5795_zps6e914b95.jpg

(sorry for blurries)

I went to town with a grinder

IMG_5792_zpsbc85bd69.jpg

IMG_5793_zps49978923.jpg

and tried to smooth that all out.

Then went back to doing the rear bushings… these DTSS things aren't easy looking. Probably gonna have to use a press and heat to get them out.

IMG_5801_zps8cb8dac0.jpg

and a few closeups of the stitch welds.

IMG_5797_zpsaa2f7ac6.jpg

IMG_5796_zpsb4fc74df.jpg

And thats basically it.

haha somebody want to buy an iPhone 4 to help me buy all my AN stuff?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Yah my car woo

you. make your own thread already

Posted · Report post

why not share a thread? RX7 SIlvia s13 Swag Build

Posted · Report post

why not share a thread? RX7 SIlvia s13 Swag Build

do it lol

Posted · Report post

back at it again this week

IMG_5813_zps17849837.jpg

got the rears all disassembled,

IMG_5817_zps410a9e55.jpg

They looking dirty, nobody likes it dirty

mating surfaces look good tho

IMG_5814_zpsbc35d059.jpg

so I attacked them with a wire wheel really quick, wasn't going to spend too much time on a part that will get covered in tire rubber

IMG_5818_zpsf36fe3ff.jpg

IMG_5820_zps6e6d3644.jpg

and them threw some paints on the steel parts

IMG_5854_zps2b0eac77.jpg

Got some bearings from work, and pressed it all together in my ghetto shop press. The thing scares me to use, it slips out every now and then

IMG_5840_zpsd7f49694.jpg

IMG_5841_zps541c6851.jpg

got those pesky DTSS eliminators in, those didn't want to go either

IMG_5859_zpsae4d0639.jpg

speaking of not wanting to go anywhere, these trailing arm bushings are cray.

IMG_5846_zpsf4bef839.jpg

I got one out, but when i tried to get the other ones out…..

IMG_5844_zps13edcc32.jpg

ya. So i'm getting a buddy to use a torch on the rest of them

IMG_5842_zpsdc053afb.jpg

The fronts on the other hand are in good shape! which I didn't expect. I'll maybe do new bearings/races when I get modded knuckles, but I'll just clean these up for now.

IMG_5837_zps898cdd72.jpg

these went nice though, heres a before and after. Energy bushings and a good clean

IMG_5838_zps1f7708ea.jpg

and for the giggles, I wasted a buncha time doing this

IMG_5810_zps3a6111da.jpg

IMG_5803_zps8193bc02.jpg

aaaaaand heres a teaser of what I hope to do this weekend

D2280B9A-8826-4656-978D-E0ED103CC8E9_zps

Posted · Report post

I had a 1987 gxl with a 5.0L swap. I blew the welded rearend in a week of street driving. Be careful with the n/a rear regardless

Posted · Report post

Are those Performance World fittings black anodized?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Are those Performance World fittings black anodized?

I believe so, but i'm not 100% sure

I had a 1987 gxl with a 5.0L swap. I blew the welded rearend in a week of street driving. Be careful with the n/a rear regardless

ya I don't have high expectations, but there's enough dude running v8 and bias ply slicks on drag strips that don't blow them. seems to be that the rotary drifters destroy more rear end parts than v8 ones...

Posted · Report post

Dont those rotarys produce huge torque?