Coilover reccomendations?

34 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

So i was gonna get megans for my s13 but im feeling more and more like they are shitty. i can get bc's for a decent price through a local shop but the powered by max comp coilovers look pretty schwanky too.

anyone have any experience with either or a reccomendation for something else? stances are nice but is it worth the extra 300 bucks? i mean if its truly worth it i may go that route but i just dont know what im paying for cause ive never bought coilovers before.

Posted · Report post

Take a look at fortune auto's to. They have a nice ride for street use and and good for when your more aggressive with your driving. That also all depends what spring rates you get to

Posted · Report post

I've heard from multiple people now that BC racing coilovers suck.

I bought Megan Streets for myself. have always heard good things about them for the price.

Posted · Report post

HSD coils.

Posted · Report post

bc racing makes coilovers for megan...if bc's suck megans would too...

btw my bc's ride great

Posted · Report post

i love my bc's

Posted (edited) · Report post

bc racing makes coilovers for megan...if bc's suck megans would too...

btw my bc's ride great

That`s an ignorant comment.

Bc does make megans but whos to say they are obligated to use the same componants or even remotely similar methods for production of the two different coilovers?

If you compare the megans and the BCs you can immidiately see the difference in design.

BCs, visually and are said to, have stronger beefier bodies. They use the full circumference of the shock body for the width of the tube.

They use a second lower locking ring. They use a larger coarse thread for there rings as well.

BCs are newer and there is less feedback compared to megans which have very few problems from what ive read and seen.

Time will obviously tell.

Edited by Sean Younker

I have a set of K-Sport adjustables, and they are great.

You can't get away from 'you get what you pay for' and going for the 'most affordable' is not always the best option.

There is NO argument or doubt that Stance are top quality, and the main reason I didn't get them was they were not available when I was ready to buy.

You can probably get really good coils if you wait for the next part out on this site, they seem to happen all the time...

But there is nothing better than new :)

Edited by Redge Laughland

Posted · Report post

get ones that you can rebuild/ get parts to rebuild them easily

Posted · Report post

fortune autos!! what i have, and i love them. rebuildable in the us of a, 100 bucks a corner. ride great so far. worked awesome on the track too. u can usually pick up a set used for under 900 or if you wait you can get new ones for 1100 or so. sometimes they have group buys on zilvia for even more reduced pricing.

Posted · Report post

i forget the name of them, but there is a set that had a lifetime warranty so whenever they blow you get a free rebuild

Posted · Report post

anyway i run gab sports, they dont make them anymore but if you can get your hands on a set i would grab them cause mine are at least 10 years old and they wont blow

Posted · Report post

I have a set of K-Sport adjustables, and they are great.

You can't get away from 'you get what you pay for' and going for the 'most affordable' is not always the best option.

There is NO argument or doubt that Stance are top quality, and the main reason I didn't get them was they were not available when I was ready to buy.

You can probably get really good coils if you wait for the next part out on this site, they seem to happen all the time...

But there is nothing better than new :)

Stance are not "top" quality...

Posted · Report post

I know stance are not "top" quality but i have heard the are definitely not shitty.

I guess i was wondering if you guys had to choose between the pbm's or BC's which would you choose, or would you just spend the extra on stances?

I dont need anything fancier than stances/hsd's, i just know they aren't shit, i dont know about the pbm's and bc's. I mean from what I'm seeing you guys like your bc's but does anyone have experience with pbm's?

I'm mainly daily'ing it, i just wanna be low and not have blown shit after a year.

Posted · Report post

I like pbm s they seem to hold up pretty good and go super low.

But seriously have you looked at fortune autos?

Posted · Report post

i checked out some reviews on fortune autos, they seem pretty legit for being like 150 bucks more than bc's.

anyone know where i can get a set in canada? ill check if my shop can get them first but if not some reccomendations on places to get them would be cool.

Posted · Report post

get a set of fortune autos. they look/ sound really nice

but on a side note, i love my stances.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Who needs coils when you have a hack saw or even a torch lol jk

Posted · Report post

I heard that cutnweld coils are pretty decent. They get you low. Good for track and daily.

No im kidding. I need mine rebuilt.

Posted · Report post

If you're not looking for retarded stiff suspension (which is completely wrong anyway on a properly handling 240), then I might suggest the Circuit Sports coil overs. Comes in 2 versions - street and drift - and they are VERY compliant and not over valved like so many of the lower end coil overs seem to be. The stiffness and firmness does NOT come from the springs - it's the shock valving - and too many Chinese knock offs overvalve the rebound so that the ride quality simply sucks. (we custom build Bilstein, Koni, AST and Moton shocks for racing and we DO NOT overvale our dampeners in order to provide grip and control)

Anyway, I just took my Tein Flex's off my vert and put the Circuit Sports on and ride quality has not dropped off for my cruiser. Priced under $1K. (I'd have to check stock at CS as I've been out of town for a while) Plus Circuit Sports has a very good warranty policy on defective (rare) pieces. MIcheal at CS is very accomodating on this policy.

PM or email me direct if you need a quote.

Posted · Report post

Ive got Stance AL+ (same as GR+, just aluminum) ive been dailying them for two years now with only one complaint - i wish they were softer.. that being said, it is a personal preference as they are 8K/10k spring rates. even then, they arnt bad at all!! rebuildable for $150 a corner, and they have AMAZING customer service!! Ive currently got Old teins on my drift slut, and i dont really have complaints there either.

Ive been in cars with both BC's & PBM and to be honest, they feel exactly the same. both seem to be of about the same build quality as well. the nice thing about the BC's is that you can get them with 6K/8K spring rates, which is much more comfortable for dailying.

Posted · Report post

Ive got Stance AL+ (same as GR+, just aluminum) ive been dailying them for two years now with only one complaint - i wish they were softer.. that being said, it is a personal preference as they are 8K/10k spring rates. even then, they arnt bad at all!! rebuildable for $150 a corner, and they have AMAZING customer service!! Ive currently got Old teins on my drift slut, and i dont really have complaints there either.

Ive been in cars with both BC's & PBM and to be honest, they feel exactly the same. both seem to be of about the same build quality as well. the nice thing about the BC's is that you can get them with 6K/8K spring rates, which is much more comfortable for dailying.

I has 6/8k stance coils. Super smooth but still mad stiff.

Posted · Report post

I has 6/8k stance coils. Super smooth but still mad stiff.

u sure they are 6/8 not 8/10? i was under the impression they only sell 8/10, unless you buy the 6/8 springs separately.

Posted · Report post

I was told they where 6/8 from previous owner. Ill double check. They do seem softer then urs

I have BC Racing Type BR coils. They came 6/8k although I bought them BNIB from someone else so they could have special ordered them that way... I think that is how they come standard though.

I daily it / autoX on them and so far pretty happy.. I haven't tried too many other products to compare it too though so a bit of an empty recommendation.

Edited by Graeme Adamson